Saturday, November 12, 2011

Bear v. Bear


I had an amazing encounter with a bear Friday. I ran home from work changed in to my hunting clothes and headed out the door behind my house (1.5 miles from campus).

I am sitting on the ground in some small Hemlocks. I call out with a few bleats, no response. I wait a bit, try it again...nothing! After the third round at about 4:40pm I hear some crashing through the woods something is running right to me!

My heart is racing and I turn to get into position (my Bear Assault bow is ready), I can see the small pines thrashing about; it must be a monster (I think to myself)! My heart is racing even faster, I am excited (it's been a very trying season to say the least).

All of a sudden the animal pokes its head through the trees and I am face to face with a large Black Bear--5yrds between us! I can't tell you what I was thinking other than, "oh...that's not a deer!"

The Bear took one look at me and ran in the other direction. I am glad it had some sense; I would not have wanted to break the law and arrow a Bear without a tag. =)

Pretty interesting to write about this, and it was even more amazing to see a mature Bear that close. Perhaps we will meet again, and this time I will have a tag and my Assault will prove worthy.

Shoot Straight >>------------->

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience on opening day of muzzle loader. I was in a tree stand and saw a large form in the brush. Thought it was a monster buck for sure...turned out to be a bull moose! Further away than the bear..that was up close and personal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the bow you use for dear hunting different than this bear assault bow?Does one carry it for protection?

    ReplyDelete